Mint - Pudina Chutney



Yesterday I was checking out a new Farmer’s Market and came to the greens isle. I can very sincerely say I eat all/any vegetables and fruit, except Mint, Pudina. I really cannot recollect any good reasons why not to, but I guess the strong smell associated with the leaves may be a reason.

I felt the need to address my little trouble and picked a bunch, well, the real reason is it was a very fresh and is a big bunch compared to what I see in the regular grocery stores.

My sister suggested that I make pudina rice with it,will be doing that shortly,a friend suggested chutney.

To supress my problem of the smell, I decided to use kothimera (coriander) as well. So, here’s what I did with it.

1 bunch Mint - Pudina
Handful Coriander
1 Lemon
4 -5 Green Chilies
1 tsp Tamarind Paste
½ tsp Jaggery

Pluck leaves from the stems, wash well and drain.

Take 2 tsp of oil in a skillet and make tadka with ½ tsp urad dal, ½ tsp chenna dal, ½ tsp jeera, ½ tsp mustard, hing and 2 red chilies. Add and fry green chilies and then remove the tadka with a spoon leaving oil in the skillet.

To the skillet add mint and sauté for a few minutes. Leaves gives out water and let them cook in that water. Add salt, turmeric, jaggery and tamarind paste and cook for a few minutes. Remove from flame and let cool.

Dry grind the tadka to a smooth powder and then add raw chopped coriander, grind once and then add the sautéd mint leaves and rough grind it adding lemon juice and water as needed. Adding lemon juice to greens will help retain the color intact.

This came out well, so give it a try. Good with rice and maybe as a spread on bread.

No comments: